Corpus Christi – To mark National Dog Bite Prevention Week, Driscoll Children’s Hospital and community partners are hosting a poster contest to raise awareness and educate South Texas about dog bite prevention.
The poster competition is open to participants from K to 8th grade. The theme of the posters should be “Staying safe around man’s best friend: Dog bite prevention”.
Contest submissions began on March 21st and the deadline for submissions is April 4th at 5pm
“Driscoll Children’s Hospital is delighted to participate in Dog Bite Prevention Week by sponsoring this poster competition. As the South Texas students plan and execute their posters, they will learn care and safety techniques that will allow them to enjoy pets without health risks,” said Ernest Buck, MD, Medical Advisor to the COO, Driscoll Health System.
“Driscoll is excited to sponsor a poster contest for elementary and middle school students that promotes child safety around our animal best friends,” said Mary Dale Peterson, MD, executive vice president and COO of Driscoll Health System.
“The poster contest is open to children throughout South Texas who live anywhere near a Driscoll facility. It could be the Coastal Bend, the Rio Grande Valley, Laredo or Victoria,” said Karen Beard, injury prevention training coordinator at Driscoll Children’s Hospital.
Winners will be announced in April during National Dog Bite Prevention Week (April 10-16). Winners will be selected for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes in each class.
- 1st Place Prize: $200 Amazon Gift Card
- 2nd Place Prize: $150 Amazon Gift Card
- 3rd Place Prize: $100 Amazon Gift Card
A grand prize winner will receive a $200 Amazon Gift Card and will be selected as the artist of the community poster to be displayed at DCH clinics and community partner locations during Dog Bite Prevention Week.
• Posters must be original, colourful, hand-made artwork centered around the safety slogan for 2022: “stay safely close to man’s best friend: avoiding dog bites” and education on safe handling of dogs to avoid injury avoid.
• Entrance size: 11 inches x 17 inches
• The child’s name, class and school should be on the back of the poster.
• Entry form must also be completed and submitted in order to participate.
• Entries from K through 8 students should be delivered to Driscoll Children’s Hospital or any Driscoll Children’s Hospital clinic by 5pm on April 4th.
Delivery points are:
1) Driscoll Children’s Hospital Main Campus: 3533 S. Alameda St.; The body of Christ
2) Driscoll Children’s Quick Care-Saratoga: 5945 Saratoga Blvd.; The body of Christ
3) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-Brownsville: 5500 N. Expressway 77; Brownsville
4) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-Harlingen; 2121 Erbsenstr.; Harlingen
5) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-Laredo: 7210 McPherson Road, Building A, Suite 104; Laredo
6) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-Laredo Maternal Fetal Medicine: 6423 McPherson Road, Suite 13; Laredo
7) Driscoll Children’s Laredo-Pediatric Cardiology: 6553 Metro Court, Suite A; Laredo
8) The Clinics of Driscoll Health System-Laredo: 10710 McPherson Road, Suites 200, 202; Laredo
9) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-McAllen: 1120 E. Ridge Road, Suite 220; mcallen
10) Driscoll Children’s Quick Care-McAllen: 1120 E. Ridge Road; mcallen
11) Driscoll Children’s Specialty Center-Victoria: 106 Springwood Drive, Suite 200; Victoria
12) Driscoll Children’s Quick Care-Victoria: 115 Medical Drive, Suite 101; Victoria
To download the submission form, visit:
For more information or questions, please contact Karen Beard at (361) 694-6702.