Immerse yourself in the bright colors and bold flavors of this southwestern sweet potato hash, which uses spices like cumin, ancho chilies, and smoked peppers to spice things up.
This vegan hash is made from crispy golden sweet potatoes mixed with protein-rich black beans, sweet corn, fresh kale, and more, it’s the perfect brunch recipe. If you’re still not convinced, all it takes is one pan, so tidying up is a breeze!
Are you trying to cut down on sugar-filled sweets? This recipe is filled with complex carbohydrates that are great for weight loss and disease prevention. This is now a win-win situation.
Try customizing this sweet potato hash by adding in your favorite foods or leftovers (that’s the beauty of a breakfast hash). If you have a busy household to feed, do so beforehand so everyone can heat it up on the go!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Costs: $ 3.19 recipe | $ 0.80 serving
Southwest Sweet Potato Vegan Hash
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil ($ 0.24)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced ($ 0.49)
- Â½ medium white onion, diced ($ 0.12)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced ($ 0.08)
- 1 red pepper, diced ($ 0.82)
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, diced ($ 0.05)
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, diced ($ 0.34)
- 1 can (398 ml) black beans ($ 0.68)
- Â½ cup corn kernels ($ 0.08)
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder ($ 0.03)
- 1 teaspoon cumin ($ 0.03)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika ($ 0.03)
- Salt and pepper to taste ($ 0.02)
- Avocado (sliced ââor puree)
- Chopped coriander
- Spring onion slices
- Salsa of your choice
- Vegan sour cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the peeled and diced sweet potatoes and sautÃ© for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and crispy.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water, cover the pan with a lid and let it steam for about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil along with the onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeÃ±o and mushrooms. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, then add ancho chilli powder, cumin and paprika and mix.
- Mix in the kale, beans and corn and cook until the kale wilts and heats for about 3 more minutes. Season to taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your hash with chopped coriander, avocado, sliced ââjalapeÃ±os, vegan sour cream, salsa, etc. Enjoy your meal!
Diet: 1 in 4 servings
Calories 301 | Total fat 8.1 g | Saturated fat 1.2 g | Cholesterol 0mg | sodium 428 mg | Total carbohydrates 48.8 g | Fiber 14.8 g | Total sugar 8.0 g | protein 11.6 g | Calcium 112.1 mg | Iron 3.8 mg | Potassium 943 mg |